CYRUS Geneva, the independent Swiss watch brand, adds to its Klepcys collection with a new chronograph model. Christened “KLEPCYS DICE”, it is presented in two different versions in limited editions of 50 pieces each.
KLEPCYS DICE is the acronym of Klepcys Double Independent Chronograph Evolution. As its name indicates, it is an evolution of the traditional chronograph. An innovative technical development, from master watchmaker, Jean-François Mojon, who has transformed it into a double chronograph capable of measuring two short intervals of time independently or in synchrony. However, it should not be confused with the rattrapante version, where the two hands track the time of two events that start simultaneously but end at different times or indicate an intermediate elapsed time.
Since its foundation in 2010, the driving force behind every watchmaking creation at CYRUS is the ongoing “Conquest of Innovation”. All these aspects come to life in exclusive limited-edition timekeeping instruments that stand out in the vast landscape of contemporary watchmaking. Powered by an exceptional self-winding manufacture movement, KLEPCYS DICE is equipped with an unprecedented double independent monopusher chronograph. The motivation behind the creation of KLEPCYS DICE comes directly from the world of sports with which CYRUS has a very special relationship, being “Official timekeeper and Watch partner” of the Uralkali Haas Formula 1 Team.
“This modern chronograph is the result of a deep reflection on the role of timing in sports competitions. In many sports, it is often important to measure elapsed times with different starting times. This occurs, for example, in races like marathons or biathlons where athletes do not cross the starting line at the same time or even in Formula 1 – a world very close to CYRUS – where two drivers, during the race tests, start at different times. In events like these, where the starting time is different for every sportsman, the KLEPCYS DICE chronograph can measure the times between two consecutive runners or racing drivers. A similar situation arises in car rallies, where it is common to use two independent chronographs. Our latest timepiece facilitates this operation thanks to the two monopusher crowns, which are essential to avoid any unwanted manipulation.”Jean-François Mojon, Master Watchmaker (below)
KLEPCYS DICE comes in a distinctive 26-part cushion-shaped case. With a diameter of 42 mm and a thickness of 16.5 mm, the case is water-resistant to 10 ATM/100 m. Available in polished grade 5 titanium or black DLC grade 5 titanium, the case undergoes various finishings, alternating polished, satin-brushed and sandblasted surfaces. The case back is sealed with customised screws with the Maison’s three-armed helix logo.
The twin crowns are equipped with a pusher that sets the three chronograph functions (start/stop/reset).Both are fully functional and embellished with the brand’s helix logo and distinguished by either a red or blue anodised aluminium ring to select which chronograph is going to be activated. A host of sapphire crystal elements on the dial offer an unhindered view of this extraordinary calibre. The large sapphire crystal ring corresponding to the time is anti-reflective and features Arabic numerals in relief with white Super-LumiNova that emits a blue glow. The sapphire ring, with its bevelled and polished profile, is cut to make room for the chronograph counter, the small seconds and the two column wheels.
The 30-minute chronograph counter at 3 o’clock – the star function of KLEPCYS DICE – is equipped with two vertically aligned hands in red and blue. Thanks to the bold colours, reading the two elapsed times is instantaneous. The independent hands track a graduated scale with markers at 15 and 30 minutes in alternating red and blue. The same red and blue colour scheme is used for the two central seconds hands, each measuring a different length. The reason that the hands differ in length is because they track the seconds on a slightly convex flange printed with two parallel scales graduated every 5 seconds and picked out in red and blue.
The timepiece is equipped with two independent chronograph movements and two display axes: one corresponds to the chronograph seconds and the second to the 30-minute counter of the double chronograph. The chronographs are activated by two column wheels, which in turn activate the different levers and couplings that move the seconds and 30-minute chronograph display. Both versions are presented with a grey Cordura fabric strap that includes a titanium folding clasp to match the case material and is delivered with an additional black rubber strap.
The activation of chronograph levers generate considerable shocks and dispersion of energy, especially during the return-to-zero phase when the hammer on the heart cam is activated. Thanks to a special system of insulation, which ensures precision measurements for the duration of the event, these shocks have no repercussions on the display of the functions. In short, the two chronographs function independently without exerting any influence on one another.
It is worth noting that since the chronograph mechanism is visible on the dial side, the movement has been reversed. Its symmetrical design offers a fascinating view of the two column wheels that are the “heart” of this complication. The automatic calibre CYR718 beats at 28,800 vibrations/hour and is equipped with a single barrel offering 60 hours of autonomy at full charge. Furthermore, the balance wheel is protected by an Incabloc shock protection system.
Ref. 539.508.TT.A (polished titanium)
Ref. 539.508.DD.A (black DLC titanium)
- Manufacture self-winding movement, calibre CYR718
- Dimensions: 36.00 mm Ø x 11.65 mm thickness
- Components: 443 total – 218 correspond to the chronograph module
- Number of Jewels: 51 total – 17 correspond to the chronograph module
- Annular balance wheel
- Frequency : 4 Hz
- Vibrations per hour: 28,800
- Swiss lever escapement
- Rhodium-plated barrel with snailed ratchet wheel, Cyrus logo and inscription filled with black lacquer
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Two microbeaded black PVD mainplates
- Bridges: grey anthracite NAC galvanic treatment, decorated with embossed sunray pattern with satin and microbeaded finishing
- New open-worked monobloc rotor with a sunray pattern, engraved with “The Conquest of Innovation”, open-worked central medallion with Cyrus helix logo in 18K 4N gold
- Central hours and minutes
- Small seconds at 9 o’clock
- 30-minute counter of the double independent chronograph at 3 o’clock, double hands in red and blue
- Two central chronograph hands; red hand resets-to-zero at 12 o’clock, blue hand resets at 6 o’clock
- Cushion-shaped case made of 26 parts
- Diameter: 42 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 16.5 mm
- Available in the following materials:
- Polished Grade 5 titanium,
- Grade 5 titanium with black DLC treatment
- Crown at 3 o’clock: position 1 to wind the movement; position 2 to adjust time + pusher for activation of chronograph No. 1 (start-stop-reset)
- Crown at 9 o’clock: pusher to activate chronograph No. 2 (start-stop-reset)
- Decoration of crowns: engraved Cyrus logo, black rubber ring embossed with grooves and red anodised aluminium ring on crown at 3 o’clock corresponding to chronograph No. 1; blue anodised aluminium ring at 9 o’clock corresponding to chronograph No. 2
- Sapphire crystal on dial side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case back: sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with Cyrus logo
- Engraving “Limited Edition ONE of 50”
- Water-resistance: 10 ATM (100 m – 330 ft)
- 3D open-worked dial
- Sapphire crystal hour ring with anti-reflective treatment on both sides, bevelled and polished edges, Arabic numerals with white Super-LumiNova with blue light emissions
- Minute markers on black PVD flange placed at 5-minute intervals, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Flange with double scale corresponding to chronograph with 5-minute intervals in red and blue
- Small seconds counter at 9 o’clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire crystal, white lacquered Arabic numerals at 15-second intervals surmounted by a microblasted rhodium-plated ring, helix small seconds hand with luminescent tip (white Super-LumiNova with blue glow)
- 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire glass, luminescent markers at 5-minute intervals, two hands in red and blue with double indications at 15/30 minutes in same colour corresponding to the two independent chronographs
- Lacquered column wheels: red at 12 o’clock and blue at 6 o’clock
- Open-worked hour and minute hands, rhodium-plated with polished edges, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Central chronograph seconds hands: red hand with reset at 12 o’clock, blue with reset at 6 o’clock
- Grey Cordura fabric strap with folding clasp in same material as case, customised with Cyrus logo
- Additional black rubber strap
- 50 pieces in each case material
For more information please visit https://www.cyrus-watches.ch